Week 2 Assignment 2
Keys, P. (1998). The betrayal of the total quality movement in Western
management: Managed health care and provider stress. Family and
Community Health, 21(2), 1–20.
Kelly, D. L. (2011). Applying quality management in healthcare: A system
approach (3rd ed.). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press. ISBN:
Assignment 2: Performance Measures
“In healthcare, the terms “balanced scorecard” and a “dashboard” are used to describe performance measurement tools that are broad in scope but summarized in a few key indicators. In this assignment, you will create a specific dashboard for an operating unit of a healthcare organization.”
· Select and describe a specific healthcare operating unit. Examples are an emergency department, a surgical service, a specific nursing unit, and a physician’s office practice. Select a type of healthcare service you are familiar with.
· Locate at least three recent (within the past four years) journal articles from professional and peer-reviewed journals that discuss dashboard, balanced scorecard, or performance measurement. Write a brief review of the articles, giving complete citations.
· On the basis of the literature review and your knowledge of the unit, create four categories of measurement. They must include both clinical and financial categories. Describe the categories and write a justification for each.
· For each category, create at least three specific performance measures. For each measure, describe how it is calculated and where the data can be found.
· Explain how the performance measures may change if the unit of analysis is the organization as a whole and not the specific operating unit.
Present your analysis as a 5-page report in a Microsoft Word document formatted in APA style.
On a separate page, cite all sources using APA format.
By Saturday, April 9th,2016, submit your assignment to the W2 Assignment 2 Turnitin.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Reviewed three journal articles for specified topics.
Designed, described, and justified four categories of measurements for a selected healthcare operating unit.
Designed three performance measurements for each category, described the calculation, and identified sources of data for each.
Estimated the change in performance measurement for the organization as the unit of analysis.
Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and APA style attribution of sources; and applied APA standards for writing style, spelling, grammar, and citation of sources.
Week 2 Assignment 2